- voice: 510.794.3666
- tty: 510.794.3672
- fax: 510.794.2409
To explore and understand the use of technology in today's society through some studies of Biotechnology as well as some lab experiments. These studies will help us answer 2 basic questions about Biotechnology: How does it affect us? How will our future look like?
- Examine the historical elements of Biotechnology
- Define uses of Biotechnology in food production and its impact on the field
- Define the use of living organisms in fermentation and other processes.
- Compare/contrast the uses of Biotechnology in industrial and mining areas.
- Examine the uses of Biotechnology in genetics, medical and pharmaceutical applications.
- Explore the impact of Biotechnology on environmental remediation and energy production.
Biotechnology is a growing field which usually requires a background of biology, chemistry and physics. Through various Biotechnology applications of lab activities, studies and practice (calculations), Biotechnology can help reinforce, enhance, or introduce these basic science skill sets to our students.