Family Education Program
For prospective families and new families interested in connecting with other families of children who attend CSD. the school connects you with a trained mentor who has a child who is deaf and a CSD student. This service is on a voluntary basis providing support for new families and prospective CSD families. Sign up for Families Supporting Families
New Family Orientation
All new students and their families are invited to New Family Orientation. It gives the families the opportunity to meet the school and cottage staff that will work with their students and to meet other new families. This is offered once a year right before the fall semester begins.
Classes are available for parents and siblings of deaf children from infant to high-school age at no cost.
Parent Education Series
Workshops are offered in the evening for parents of Deaf children including the Deaf community at no cost. Webinars are available for this.
Who should go on a Family Educational Tour?
- Families with Deaf / Hard of Hearing (various hearing levels) children ages 0 to 22.
- Families who would like to have an in-depth look at a model bilingual American Sign Language and English school for Deaf children.
- Families with Deaf children who are considering applying to CSD Fremont.
- For families with a deaf child(ren) who is considering applying to CSD Fremont.
We look forward to getting in touch with you!
- Families with Deaf children age 6 and up:
Lilly Benedict, Family Education Coordinator
- Families with Deaf babies/toddlers up to age 5 contact:
Laura T. Petersen, Early Intervention Consultant
What is a tour like?
Each tour is different, depending on the age of the child and the interests of the family.
As part of the tour, the family has the opportunity to meet with some of the teachers, see various programs, eat lunch in the school cafeteria, and visit the cottages to get an idea of what student life facilities are like at CSD. The tour provides a wonderful opportunity for the family to ask any questions they might have about the school.